You cannot copy content of this page

Cellphone Constraints in classrooms set to take effect

by

Cellphone Constraints in classrooms set to take effect

by

by

There’ll be new restrictions on cellular devices in Ontario classrooms as of Monday and the usage of cellphones. According to a directive from the Ontario government, personal devices can be only used by students during time if it’s for educational purposes under a teacher’s instructions, for health or medical purposes or for particular demands. On Sunday, Education Minister Stephen Lecce published a statement coming into effect.

READ MORE:

“Our authorities heard clearly from parents and educators about the growing challenge related to distracted students in the classroom. When in class, students should be focused on their research rather than on social media,” he wrote. “The mobile restrictions coming into force on Monday is just another step ahead in providing a focused and academically-enriched learning environment for our students. “The authorities said 97 percent of students, teachers and parents who participated in last year’s consultations called for cellphone use should be restricted.

Some colleges have policies that are similar, but a benchmark is set by the directive.

READ MORE:
Following year, ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

The Progressive Conservatives had suggested a ban in their platform. The Ministry of Education says exceptions will be made”for medical and health purposes, to encourage special education requirements, or for instructional purposes as guided by an educator. “The Toronto District School Board used to have a mobile ban, but flipped it after four decades to let teachers dictate what works best for their own classrooms. The board stated that to curb technology usage would be to place limitations on educational opportunities too, also has said that Implementing an outright ban was next to impossible. “At the TDSBwe promote the use of technology in the classroom but for instructional purposes only,” TDSB spokesperson Ryan Bird told Global News in an announcement Sunday afternoon.

READ MORE:
The risks and benefits of imposing a ban

“Recent changes to the board code of conduct to deal with direction of the Ministry of Education with regard cellphones essentially formalizes what schools in the TDSB have already been doing — using cellphones where applicable to the lesson or subject in hand.” The improvements were largely seen one of the students who were normally the lowest attaining.”


(C) 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc..



JOURNALISTIC STANDARDS


Top luctus dictum in venenatis, Donec eleifend
%d bloggers like this: